• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to work out a lot and maintain weight?

BeckyLee

Bluelighter
The title basically says it. I am doing a lot of running, cycling, kickboxing, dancing, and swimming, and I'm losing and not extremely pleased. ( I want to do a triathlon). Should I be eating a lot of protein? I don't eat gluten, and don't usually eat meat other than fish... Thanks guys...?

For maintaining weight. I would say sweat it out. Sauna Suit. or if you go to a gym go in the sauna after you work out. For high school wrestling we would hook shake in the sauna with sweaters on and we could lose pounds fast.
""Only drinking water helps
And if your already running, and cycling then why haven't you looked into supplements?
Protein shake after any one of those activities would help you bunches to keep the muscles fed & makes recovery faster.
A daily Multi Vitamin
Electrolyte drinks for when you run. something like CytoMax is great for running and cycling.

Make sure you are sleeping enough to recover. Also eat at least a gram per lb (or 2g/kg) of your bodyweight. Carbs are also very important, so don't neglect them. Try keeping track of your calorie intake over a couple days. If you are working out every day for at least an hour or two you should be getting at least 2,000kcal if not more.

Just eat more fats and proteins until your weight stabilizes. If your not maintaining, your not eating enough.

SirTrophamHat, 2000 calories a day is actually the RDA for sedentary women, so active women should defintely consider more then that.

so if i'm only having one protein shake a day, plus lots of yogurt, fruit, eggs, and veggies, i should have more protein shakes? 2? 3?

Depends on how much protein is in each shake. Their are different types of protein also. If you can find it where you live, try for Whey Protein Concentrates, or Whey Protein Isolates. Brands are 100% Whey, or Gold Standard Whey Protein. Those are the best for your body. Shakes like ""Muscle Milk"" are crap, that is normal protein, not whey. They have huge amounts of fat in them, you deff do not want that. your not trying to bulk up at all I take it.
WHEY ALL THE WHEY.
One shake of whey would be enough everyday, and only after you workout, directly after. 50g of whey after a workout is enough for a full grown male bodybuilder so 2 or 3 shakes is just a waste. 100% whey has 26g per scoop, one scoop would be a good place to start.
The food your eating sounds great already, don't change that.
and if you are only drinking water, your body will start to lose water weight and that will be good also.

I'm into raw foods, so I'm using hemp protein powder right now. Is that a no-go? What about raw sprouted rice protein (supposedly very absorbable)?

Here is a favorable review:
First of all, Amazon has this priced $6 cheaper than the actual Sun Warrior website, which is fabulous.

I am a triathlete and have always struggled with protein powders and supplements because they were so full of sugars and artificial ingredients and so forth.

This raw rice protein supplement is awesome! My boyfriend is still stuck on his Syntha-6 powders from bodybuilding.com (which does not carry Sun Warrior, but should start!), but here is how Sun Warrior Chocolate compares to Syntha-6 Mochaccino:

Calories per serving (44g): Sun Warrior - 160, Syntha-6 - 200
Total fat: Sun Warrior - 2g, Syntha-6 - 6g
Saturated fat: Sun Warrior - 0g, Syntha-6 - 2g
Trans fat: Both brands have 0g
Cholesterol: Sun Warrior - 0mg, Syntha-6 - 55mg
Total carbs: Sun Warrior - 10g, Syntha-6 - 15g
Fiber: Sun Warrior - 4g, Syntha-6 - 5g
Sugars: both brands have 2g
Vitamin A/C: both brands have none
Calcium: Sun Warrior - 12% of DV, Syntha-6 - 10% of DV
Iron: Sunwarrior - 40% of DV, Syntha-6 - 1% of DV

Protein: Sun Warrior - 30g - Syntha-6 - 22g

I'm sorry, but no matter how you slice it Sun Warrior comes out on top in terms of pure nutritional value AND protein content per serving. Serious athletes should consider Sun Warrior a formidable brand in the market!

P.S. Sun Warrior does not taste as good just mixed with water, but I find that blending 2 scoops of the chocolate with water/soy milk + frozen banana + spinach + flax seed oil tastes like a healthy milk shake and the spinach is totally undetectable.

I really dont know about natural stuff like that. I am into bodybuilding, srry.
Just as long as they dont have a bunch of fat in them you should be good. The whey I use now has 0g of saturated fat, and it says 1g total fat per scoop. So if your hemp protein is like that also then that's really good

if you are losing weight, there is only one reason: you're expending more energy than you're consuming.

eat more food. plain and simple.

SirTrophamHat, 2000 calories a day is actually the RDA for sedentary women, so active women should defintely consider more then that.

True, that was a low estimate. I don't know how tall/big she is though; smaller people need less energy.

so if i'm only having one protein shake a day, plus lots of yogurt, fruit, eggs, and veggies, i should have more protein shakes? 2? 3?

Try eating more grains, whole wheat pasta, rice, & lentils. All are great for you. Also, timing protein consumption will help. Drinking your shakes right after working out, and eating some slow digesting casein protein like the kind found in cottage cheese before bedtime will give your body nutrients for repair while at rest. If you can afford to drink a shake after each and every workout, it is worth it.

Just as others have said : If you're losing weight and want to stop, you have to eat more or exercise less. There's no real magic trick there.

Check out Optimum Nutritions Gold Standard Whey Protein...if not for you, then for you bf.

^ I'm told the french vanilla flavour is good :)

If you're not lactose intollerant then you should be drinking a ton of milk... with skim milk powder mixed in. Loads of calories and protein there and skim milk powder is cheap compared to whey supplements. Chuck some in your protein shakes too.

Edit: if you're drinking heaps of milk you may need a calcium/magnesium supplement too (I know it's counter intuitive but drinking milk is bad for your calcium levels.)

plus lots of yogurt, fruit, eggs, and veggies
sounds good =D

Last edited:
^ I'm told the french vanilla flavour is good :)

If you're not lactose intollerant then you should be drinking a ton of milk... with skim milk powder mixed in. Loads of calories and protein there and skim milk powder is cheap compared to whey supplements. Chuck some in your protein shakes too.

Edit: if you're drinking heaps of milk you may need a calcium/magnesium supplement too (I know it's counter intuitive but drinking milk is bad for your calcium levels.)

sounds good =D
Haha I actually do drink Calm (magnesium) plus calcium at night!

as others have said in general, eat more. While you could take that and go just plow down mcdonalds sandwiches and be okay, I'd say for optimal health we want to be more specific than that. A third pound of mcdonalds beef will still load you with saturated fats that your heart may not like later in life.

Assuming you're already taking care of your protein needs, I'd say whole grain carbs are actually your best bet. Whole grain carbs like 100% whole wheat bread, 100% whole grain pasta, quinoa, barley, and oat groats or steel-cut oats* have benefits:
  • don't come loaded with sugar and oil so they won't make you sluggish
  • they will in fact make you feel like a well-oiled machine.
  • they have the high calorie density to help you do that exercise
  • they will regulate your body's digestive system. Barley will actually regulate your glucose levels.
It takes about a week or two for your body to get used to them if you've never had them regularly before. So for the first week you may not be used to the taste yet. ;).

*if you can't do full groats or steel cut, than thick-rolled "old-fashioned" oats are still better than "instant."

Last edited:
Per my cycling instructor's directions, I've been mixing yogurt and granola a few hours before a workout now.

FWIW, very few people burn more than ~1000 calories per day via exercise. So it shouldn't be too much trouble to compensate with food.